What is a ventilator and what does it do?
Simply put, a ventilator takes over the body’s breathing process when disease has caused the lungs to fail. This gives the patient time to fight off the infection and recover. Various types of medical ventilation can be used.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), some 80% of people with Covid-19 – the disease caused by coronavirus – recover without needing hospital treatment. But one person in six becomes seriously ill. In these severe cases, the virus causes damage to the lungs, causing the body’s oxygen levels to drop and making it harder to breathe.
To alleviate this, a ventilator is used to push air, with increased levels of oxygen, into the lungs. The ventilator also has a humidifier, which adds heat and moisture to the air supply so it matches the patient’s body temperature. Patients are given medication to relax the respiratory muscles so their breathing can be fully regulated by the machine.
People with milder symptoms may be given ventilation using facemasks, nasal masks or mouthpieces which allow air or an oxygen mixture to be pushed into the lungs.
This is known as “non-invasive” ventilation, as no internal tubes are required.
Another form of ventilation – continuous positive airway pressure or CPAP – keeps a patient’s airways continuously open. Early reports from Lombardy in northern Italy suggest about 50% of patients given CPAP have avoided the need for full mechanical ventilation. A type of CPAP ventilation using a hood, where pressurised oxygen is pumped in via a valve, reduces the risk of airborne transmission of the virus.
- Breathing Mode: A/C AIC+SIGH, SIMV SPONT MANUAL
- Tidal Volume: 30 – 2400ML
- Max Ventilation Volume: >18L/min
- Oxygen Concentration: 50.0%, 100%
- Frequency: 2 ~ 80bpm
- Inspiratory Time: 0.2 ~ 6 sec
- IE Ratio: 3:1 ~ 1: 5
- Safety Airway Pressure: s6kPa
- Trigger Pressure: 0 to -20cmH20
- SIGH (deep breath) : once per 100
- Breath Cycles : 1.5times tidal volume
- SIMV Frequency: 1-40bpm
- Power: AC110 ~240V, 50/60HZ
- Battery: Lithium rechargeable
- Dimension: 266 x 244 x 100 (mm)
- Weight: 2.5KG
- Packing Per Unit Export: 65cm x 40cm x 33cm : 16KG